The Irish Athletic Third-level Boxing Association (IATBA) are proud to announce details of the upcoming 2018 Irish Boxing Championships for college and university students at the home of Irish Boxing, the National Boxing Stadium.
Venue: National Boxing Stadium, 145 South Circular Road, Dublin 8
Registration & Entry Weigh-in: Saturday March 10th 2018 at 9:30-11:00 am
Novices weigh in at registration and Finals day. Boxers in all other categories weigh-in at registration and any day they box from 8:30-9:30 am.
Draw: Shall take place shortly after the close of weigh-in on Saturday March 10th 2018.
Boxing: Contingent on entries, details to be announced after the competition draw.
Note: The term “Elite” refers to age classification only and is not related to the ability or experience of the Boxer.
Elite: Male and Female Competitors aged 19 – 40 years old in 2018.
Youth: Male and Female Competitors aged 17-18 years old in 2018.
1. Competitors must be Elite Boxers, born between January 01 1978 – December 31 1999, or Youth Boxers, born between January 01 2000 – 15 January 2001.
2. Competitors must be fully registered, and hold a student card for the institution with which they are internally registered for the current academic year.
3. Competitors must have successfully completed second-level education (Leaving Cert or equivalent), and be currently pursuing a course of study that leads to an award ranked at a minimum of Level 5 up to Level 10 on Quality and Qualifications Ireland’s (QQI) National Framework of Qualifications, or minimum Level 3 up to Level 8 on the Northern Ireland National Qualifications Framework.
4. Competitors must be currently registered members of the IABA, and members of an affiliated Boxing Club of the IABA.
Categories for Elite Male Competitors are:
• Junior Novice (0-5 bouts and first registered between 01 Jan 2017 – 09 Mar 2018)
• Senior Novice (6-12 bouts or 0-5 bouts and registered to IABA prior to 2017)
• Intermediate (13-35 bouts)
• Senior (> 35 bouts)
Categories for Elite Female Competitors are:
• Novice (0-3 bouts)
• Intermediate (4-12 bouts)
• Senior (> 12 bouts)
Youth Categories (Male & Female)
• Open class
Note: Boxers whom have won an IATBA championship at a certain category automatically move up to the next category class regardless of their number of bouts.
Youth, Elite Intermediate & Elite Senior Categories:
Female: 48Kg; 51Kg; 54Kg; 57Kg; 60Kg; 64Kg; 69Kg; 75Kg; 81Kg; 81+Kg
Male: 49Kg; 52Kg; 56Kg; 60Kg; 64Kg; 69Kg; 75Kg; 81Kg; 91Kg; 91+Kg
Women: 46Kg; 48Kg; 50Kg; 52Kg; 54Kg; 57Kg; 60Kg; 63Kg; 66Kg; 70Kg; 75Kg; 80Kg; 86Kg
Men: 48Kg, 51Kg, 54Kg, 57Kg, 60Kg, 64Kg, 67Kg, 71Kg, 75Kg, 81Kg, 86Kg, 91Kg, 91+Kg
Note: The Junior Novice Category is intended for Competitors that are in their first year of boxing. Competitors registered to IABA earlier than 2017, and whom have less than 13 bouts must compete in the Senior Novice Category regardless of the number of bouts on their record book. This is to ensure that Boxers with more sparring experience do not obtain an unfair advantage over less experienced Boxers.
All Novice Competitors must include their date of registration on the Competition Entry Form. The organising committee will check all boxing cards at registration.
Irish Athletic Third-level Boxing Association Boxing competitions are governed in accordance with the rules and regulations of the International Boxing Association (AIBA). The Official in Charge of the competition will follow the AIBA Open Boxing (AOB) Competition Rules.
Each Competitor presented by his or her Club shall be fit to box. This is the responsibility of the Club.
Competitors must have one Red and one Blue Vest. Coaches must wear tracksuits and trainers at all sessions, and endeavour to set a high standard of hygiene in the corners. No caps/hats allowed. Only qualified coaches will be allowed in the corner. Novice Males and all Female competitors must wear headguards. Competitors with long hair must keep it contained within the headguard with a hairnet, swimcap or bandana.
Boxers must present themselves clean-shaven for weigh-ins and bouts, and advise details of any medication they are taking, or have taken in the preceding 4 weeks. All body piercings must be removed before attending the weigh-in. Hair clips cannot be used.
Gum shields: Red, Orange or Pink coloured gum shields are forbidden. Any competitor entering the ring with either colour gum shield will not be allowed to box and a walkover to their opponent will be called.
Sportsmanship: All decisions must be accepted in a sporting manner. Respect shall be shown to the ringside officials at all times.
- Competitor entry fee is €30
- Competitors must produce their Boxing Medical Book and their valid Student Identification Card for the current academic year.
- Entries are subject to vetting and it is a condition of entry that all competitors and officials shall have signed the IABA Waiver / Members Acknowledgement Form.
- Closing date for entries is 04 March 2018
- Late entries will be accepted up to 09 March 2018 with an associated fee of €40
Important – Entries will only be accepted once approved by the third-level institutions’ Sports Officers / Students Services Staff member. Boxers can only compete with the permission of their academic institutions’ sports officer or equivalent. Championships entry is pre-paid, no entry will be official until payment is received by IATBA.
The online entry form will be available on http://www.iatba.ie from 01 Feb 2018. Further information on how to make entries will be available then.
Queries regarding these championships should be made to the organising committee by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.