The Irish Athletic Third-level Boxing Association are proud to announce details of the upcoming Irish Boxing Championships for College and University Students at the home of Irish Boxing, the National Stadium.
Venue: National Boxing Stadium, South Circular Road, Dublin 8
Dates: March 5th ,18th,19th and 20th 2016
Entry Weigh-in: Saturday March 5th 2016 at 9:30-11:00 am
All other weigh-ins 8:30-9:30 am
Draw: 11:15 a.m., Saturday March 5th 2016
Boxing: Contingent on entries, details to be announced after the competition draw.
Note: The term “Elite” refers to age classification only and is not related to the ability or experience of the Boxer.
- Elite: Male and Female Competitors between the ages of 19 – 40 years old.
- Youth: Male and Female Competitors between the ages of 17-18 years old.
Categories for Elite Male Competitors are:
- Beginner (0-3 bouts, registered 2015-present)
- Novice (4-10 bouts)
- Intermediate (11-30 bouts)
- Senior (31+ bouts)
Note: The Beginner Category is intended for Competitors that are in boxing for no more than a year. Competitors that are in boxing for more than 1 year (Boxing Record Book registered 2014 or earlier) must compete in the Novice Category regardless of the number of bouts on their record book. This prevents Competitors with more sparring experience obtaining an unfair advantage over Beginner Boxers. All Male Competitors with 10 or less bouts must include their date of registration on the Competition entry Form.
Categories for Elite Female Competitors are:
- Novice (0-3 bouts)
- Intermediate (4-12 bouts)
- Senior (13+ bouts)
Youth Male & Female Category is Open Class – recommended for experienced Boxers
Please note: Male & Female Competitors aged 18 years old on March 4th 2016 also have the option to enter an Elite Category. Competitors aged 17 years old are prohibited from entering an Elite Category.
- Elite Beginner, Novice & Intermediate (Male & Female): 48Kg, 51Kg, 54Kg, 57Kg, 60Kg, 64Kg, 67Kg, 71Kg, 75Kg, 81Kg, 86Kg, 91Kg and 91+Kg
- Elite Senior & Youth (Male): 49Kg, 52Kg, 56Kg, 60Kg, 64Kg, 69Kg, 75Kg, 81Kg, 91Kg and 91+Kg
- Elite Senior & Youth (Female): 48Kg, 51Kg, 54Kg, 57Kg, 60Kg, 64Kg, 69Kg, 75Kg, 81Kg and 81+Kg
- Competitors must be fully registered and hold a student card for the institution with which they are internally registered for the current academic year.
- Competitors must be pursuing a course of study that leads to an award ranked at a minimum of Level 6 on the Quality and Qualifications Ireland’s (QQI) framework of qualifications, or minimum Level 3 on the Northern Ireland National Qualifications Framework.
- Competitors must be members of the IABA, and members of an affiliated Boxing Club of the IABA.
- Competitor Entry fee is €25
- Competitors must produce their Boxing Medical Book and their valid Student Identification Card for the current academic year.
- Entries are subject to vetting and it is a condition of entry that all competitors and officials shall have signed the IABA Waiver / Members Acknowledgement Form.
Important – Entries will only be accepted from third-level institutions’ Sports Officers / Students Services Staff, or from secretaries of recognized third-level boxing clubs. Boxers can only compete with the permission of their academic institutions’ sports officer or equivalent.
Irish Athletic Third-level Boxing Association (IATBA) Boxing competitions are governed in accordance with the rules and regulations of the International Boxing Association (AIBA). The Official in Charge of the competition will follow the AIBA Open Boxing (AOB) Competition Rules.
Each Competitor presented by his or her Club shall be fit to box. This is the responsibility of the Club.
Competitors must have one Red and one Blue Vest. Coaches must wear tracksuits and trainers at all sessions, and endeavour to set a high standard of hygiene in the corners. Females competitors must wear headguards. Competitors with long hair must keep it contained within the headguard with a hair net or bandanna.
Boxers must present themselves clean shaven for weigh-ins and bouts, and advise details of any medication they are taking, or have taken in the preceding 4 weeks. All body piercings must be removed before attending the weigh-in. Hair clips cannot be used.
Gum Shields: Red or Orange coloured gumshields are forbidden. Any competitor entering the ring with either colour gumshield will not be allowed to box and a walkover to their opponent will be called.
Entering the Championships
Entries will be accepted from Coaches and Secretaries of Third-level Boxing Clubs, and Sports Officers of Third-level Institutions. The entry form will be emailed to the above on request by email to email@example.com.
The closing date for entries is Friday, March 4th 2016.
The following information is required:
- Name of Boxer
- Student Registration Number
- Gender of Boxer
- Boxer Contact Number
- Third-level Institution
- Club Email Address
- Competition Category of Entrant
- Date of Registration of Boxing Record Book (for Male Boxers with 10 or less bouts)
- Number of Bouts on Record Book
- Number of Wins
- Weight Class
- Other Individual Physical Contact Sport Experience (List sport, number of bouts)
- Titles Won (Details of any Intervarsity, Provincial or National titles won by Boxer)
- Coaches’ Names
- Coaches’ Contact Numbers
- Date of Birth
Affiliation to Irish Athletic Third-level Boxing Association (IATBA)
Third-level institutions entering Competitors for IATBA Championships must pay a membership fee to the IATBA for the year. Sport Officers / Club Officials are requested to contact IATBA to organize affiliation as soon as possible in order to facilitate the administration of the Championships.