There will be 33 IATBA finals down for decision next Saturday 05 March 2022. See below the scheduled list of bouts.
€10 entry for spectators. Boxing will be held in the National Stadium and begins at 11am.
The Irish Athletic Third-level Boxing Association are proud to announce details of the upcoming Irish Boxing Championships for College and University Students at the home of Irish Boxing, the National Stadium.
Venue: National Boxing Stadium, South Circular Road, Dublin 8
Dates: March 5th ,18th,19th and 20th 2016
Entry Weigh-in: Saturday March 5th 2016 at 9:30-11:00 am
All other weigh-ins 8:30-9:30 am
Draw: 11:15 a.m., Saturday March 5th 2016
Boxing: Contingent on entries, details to be announced after the competition draw.
Note: The term “Elite” refers to age classification only and is not related to the ability or experience of the Boxer.
Categories for Elite Male Competitors are:
Note: The Beginner Category is intended for Competitors that are in boxing for no more than a year. Competitors that are in boxing for more than 1 year (Boxing Record Book registered 2014 or earlier) must compete in the Novice Category regardless of the number of bouts on their record book. This prevents Competitors with more sparring experience obtaining an unfair advantage over Beginner Boxers. All Male Competitors with 10 or less bouts must include their date of registration on the Competition entry Form.
Categories for Elite Female Competitors are:
Youth Male & Female Category is Open Class – recommended for experienced Boxers
Please note: Male & Female Competitors aged 18 years old on March 4th 2016 also have the option to enter an Elite Category. Competitors aged 17 years old are prohibited from entering an Elite Category.
Important – Entries will only be accepted from third-level institutions’ Sports Officers / Students Services Staff, or from secretaries of recognized third-level boxing clubs. Boxers can only compete with the permission of their academic institutions’ sports officer or equivalent.
Irish Athletic Third-level Boxing Association (IATBA) Boxing competitions are governed in accordance with the rules and regulations of the International Boxing Association (AIBA). The Official in Charge of the competition will follow the AIBA Open Boxing (AOB) Competition Rules.
Each Competitor presented by his or her Club shall be fit to box. This is the responsibility of the Club.
Competitors must have one Red and one Blue Vest. Coaches must wear tracksuits and trainers at all sessions, and endeavour to set a high standard of hygiene in the corners. Females competitors must wear headguards. Competitors with long hair must keep it contained within the headguard with a hair net or bandanna.
Boxers must present themselves clean shaven for weigh-ins and bouts, and advise details of any medication they are taking, or have taken in the preceding 4 weeks. All body piercings must be removed before attending the weigh-in. Hair clips cannot be used.
Gum Shields: Red or Orange coloured gumshields are forbidden. Any competitor entering the ring with either colour gumshield will not be allowed to box and a walkover to their opponent will be called.
Entering the Championships
Entries will be accepted from Coaches and Secretaries of Third-level Boxing Clubs, and Sports Officers of Third-level Institutions. The entry form will be emailed to the above on request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for entries is Friday, March 4th 2016.
The following information is required:
Affiliation to Irish Athletic Third-level Boxing Association (IATBA)
Third-level institutions entering Competitors for IATBA Championships must pay a membership fee to the IATBA for the year. Sport Officers / Club Officials are requested to contact IATBA to organize affiliation as soon as possible in order to facilitate the administration of the Championships.
Dublin City University Boxing Club will host the inaugural Darren Sutherland Memorial Cup in “The Venue” in the DCU Student’s Union on Monday March 31. Doors open at 7.15 pm.
This event is a tribute to the late Darren Sutherland, an Irish Elite middleweight champion and Olympic Bronze medalist, boxing out of St. Saviours BC, and a student of Sports Science in DCU.
A DCU/St. Saviours team will take on an Irish Third-level select, comprising of student boxers from other institutions. DCU boxing club were the most successful club at the recent Irish Amateur Third-level Boxing Association Championships, winning 8 gold and 3 silver medals, and will undoubtedly provide a stern challenge to the Irish third-level team. Both teams will be keen to win the cup and the very best of Irish student boxing will be showcased.
Tickets for the show are a student friendly €5 and are available to purchase in advance online. Click here . Tickets can also be bought at the door on the night.
Further information on the show is available by clicking on the event poster below.
The fifth I.A.T.B.A. Championships finals took place at the National Boxing Stadium on Saturday March 15th 2014. There were 21 contests on the program and the best of third-level boxing was on show.
Results of the finals are here.
Full report to follow.
The 2014 IATBA Championships conclude this Saturday March 15th at the National Stadium. There are 21 finals down for decision. DCU Boxing Club have the most finalists with 8, followed by NUIG Boxing Club with 5.
Weigh-ins for all competitors is from 9-10 am at the Stadium. Boxing will commence at 11 am sharp.
The program for the IATBA finals is available here.
The results from last weekends contests are at the links below.
The 2013 IATBA Intervarsity Opens began last weekend at the home of Irish Boxing, The National Stadium. 102 student boxers from 21 colleges and universities weighed-in for the event. DCU, Inchicore CFE, Belfast Metropolitan College and Trinity College were competing for the first time in an IATBA event.
The DCU boxing team secured 6 wins from 8 bouts in the first weekend, with IT Tallaght taking 5 wins. The University of Limerick had a 100% record, winning all 5 of their bouts.
Results Saturday Feb 23, 2013
1. Novice 64 Kg Fionnbarr Thompson (UL) beat Stephen Murray (DCU) (Unan.)
2. Novice 64 Kg Tony McSweeney (UCC) lost to Alhassan Shaar (ITT, D) (Unan.)
3. Senior 69 Kg Paul Sweeney (GMIT) lost to Cian D’arcy (IT Tralee) (Unan.)
4. Novice 67 Kg Jack Higgins (NUIG) beat David Galvin (UCC) (Unan.)
5. Senior 69 Kg Diego Capucci (ICFE) lost to Michael Bustard (Trinity) (Maj.)
6. Novice 67 Kg Jack Haverty (UCC) lost to Kieran Farrell (NUIG) (Unan.)
7. Novice 75 Kg Paul Sweeney (GMIT) lost to Thomas Farrelly (Unan.)
8. Novice 75 Kg Kayode Ayidne (ITT, D) beat Derek Walsh (ITT, D) (unan.)
9. Novice 75 Kg Kyle Preston Kelly (UL) beat Alan Murphy (IT Carlow) (Unan.)
10. Novice 81 Kg James Kennedy (NUIG) lost to Edwin Whelan (ITT, D) (Maj.)
11. Novice 81 Kg Shane Trimble (DIT) beat Hugh O’Connor (Cork IT) (RSC 2)
12. Novice 81 Kg Ayotunle Bakare (GMIT) lost to Jamie O’Keefe (UCC) (Unan.)
13. Novice 81 Kg Conor Keane (IT Tralee) beat Thomas Ruane (GMIT) (Unan.)
14. Intermediate 71 Kg Oisin Morgan (DCU) lost to Bryan Walsh (DIT) (Unan.)
15. Intermediate 71 Kg David Lewis (UL) beat John Coyle (GMIT) (Unan.)
16. F Senior 60 Kg Deirdre Begley (UCC) beat Shauna Ward (NUIG) (Unan.)
17. F Senior 54 Kg Lily de la Cour (UCC) beat Jade Corcoran (ICFE) (Unan.)
Results – Sun Feb 24, 2013
1. Novice 91 Kg Taiwo Tibetan (GMIT) lost to Manus McHugh (LYIT) (Maj.)
2. Novice 71 Kg Austin Kenny (ITT, D) lost to Keith Neary (LYIT) (Unan.)
3. Novice 60 Kg John Quigley (DCU) beat John Evans (NUIG) (Unan.)
4. Novice 64 Kg Terry Keegan (DCU) beat Fionn Bowles (Cork IT) (RSC2)
5. Novice 64 Kg Liam Brennan (GMIT) lost to Faheem Noonan (GMIT) (Maj.)
6. Novice 64 Kg Parnell Watters (NUIG) lost to Séan Cuddy (DCU) (RSC3)
7. Novice 64 Kg Fionnbarr Thompson (UL) beat Alhassan Shaar (ITT, D) (Unan.)
8. Novice 71 Kg Eoin Raftery (ITT, D) beat Robinson Mondonedo (Cork IT) (Unan.)
9. Novice 75 Kg Chris McCarthy (UCC) beat Thomas Farrelly (IT Carlow) (Unan.)
10. Novice 71 Kg Samir Parker (GMIT) beat Eoin Stack (UCC) (Unan.)
11. Senior 69 Kg Daragh Finn (LIT Tipp) lost to Sheosamh Ferry (UL) (Maj.)
12. Senior 69 Kg Craig McCarthy (WIT) W/O
13. Senior 69 Kg Conor Duffy (DCU) beat Cian D’Arcy (IT Tralee) (RSCI 1)
14. Novice 71 Kg Daniel Fulham (ITT, D) beat Aaron O’Byrne (ITT, D) (RSCI3)
15. Novice 71 Kg Jack Ebbs (ITT, D) beat Daniel Winston (ITT, D) (Unan.)
16. Novice 71 Kg Adam Bruton (DIT) W/O
17. Novice 71 Kg Conor Egan (DIT) lost to Robert Egan (DCU) (RSC 3)
IRISH AMATEUR THIRD-LEVEL BOXING ASSOCIATION (I.A.T.B.A)
National Third-Level Open Intervarsity for Novice, Intermediate and Senior boxers.
Novice Boxer: 0-5 bouts
Intermediate Boxer: 6-15 bouts
Senior Boxer: 15+ bouts
Novice Boxer: 0-3 bouts
Intermediate Boxer: 4-10 bouts
Senior Boxer: 11+ bouts
Venue: National Boxing Stadium, South Circular Road, Dublin
First Weigh-in: Saturday 23rd 11:30 am-12:30 pm (All boxers must weigh-in each day they box). All weigh-ins take place in the Ringside Club adjoining the National Stadium.
All entries must be received by 5 pm on Wednesday, Feb 20th, 2013
Entry Fee: €10/boxer
Colleges can pre-enter boxers at their expected weights. Any late entries will incur an increased entry fee of €15. The tournament entry form is available to download (click here). Club secretaries or individual boxers are to email entry forms to their Institution’s Sports Officer (or equivalent), to then be forwarded to email@example.com. Contact information for CUSAI member Sports Officers is available here.
1. Institutions entering boxers in IATBA organized competitions must be affiliated to the Colleges and Universities Sports Association of Ireland (CUSAI) and to the IATBA for the current academic year.
2. A student must be fully registered and hold a student card for the institution with which they are internally registered for the current academic year. Students must be pursuing a course of study that leads to an award ranked at a minimum of Level 6 on the National Qualification Authority of Ireland framework, or the equivalent Level 4 on the Northern Ireland National Qualifications Framework, or Level C on the Northern Ireland FHEQ.
3. Boxers must be over 17 years of age and under 35 years of age.
The draw will take place following the weigh-in and boxing will commence at the time specified at the weigh-in. Times for boxing on Saturday and Sunday will be made known to the competitors following the draw. Food will be available at a reasonable price in the Ringside Club canteen at the Stadium, throughout the competition.
Attention is drawn to the change in weigh-in time on the first day from the time previously mentioned in the circular on our website. First weigh-in will now be on Saturday from 11:30 am-12:30 pm (to accommodate boxers travelling up long distances on the day). All other details will be dependent on numbers entering.
Weights for all female boxers – 52KG, 54KG, 57KG, 60KG, 63KG, 66KG, 70KG, 75KG, 81KG, 81+KG
Weights for Novice & Intermediate Boxers will be – 48KG, 51KG, 54KG, 57KG, 60KG, 64KG, 67KG, 71KG, 75KG, 81KG, 86KG, 91KG, 91+KG.
Weights for Senior Boxers will be – 49KG, 52KG, 56KG, 60KG, 64KG, 69KG, 75KG, 81KG, 91KG, 91+KG.
Membership Fee: €50 payable to the IATBA at the first weigh-in, for any college who has not paid for 2012/13 (i.e. those institutions not listed here: https://iatba.ie/memberinstitutions/).
The Irish Amateur Third-level Boxing Association will be hosting an invitational tournament on Saturday, December 15th in the Ringside Club at the National Boxing Stadium, Dublin. This tournament would suit all boxers looking to gain competitive experience as Novice boxers before the IATBA Championships in Feb/Mar 2013. The tournament is open to male and female student boxers from Novice up to Senior standard. Boxers will be matched on weight and experience.
All boxers wishing to enter should complete the competition entry form (click here). The college club email their boxers’ entry forms to their institution’s Head of Sport (Sports Officer), who should then forward the entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. In colleges where there is no active club, boxers email their entry form directly to the Sports Officer. For this tournament, and all successive tournaments, IATBA will only accept entries from third-level Sports Officers.
A €5 entry fee per boxer applies. A cover charge for all spectators of €5 will also be in operation.
A check weigh-in will take place on the day to ensure no mismatches have occurred in terms of the weights of the boxers involved. A provisional start time of 1pm is envisaged with the check weigh-in taking place in the preceding hour. This start time is subject to change, depending on entries received. Entries must be received by 5pm on Wednesday, 12th December, 2012.
All boxers will be charged a €5 entry fee; payable at the scales. Boxers will be asked to show their student I.D card before weighing in.
All boxers must have an IABA boxing record book.
All Boxers must provide their own AIBA STANDARD & STAMPED head guard. Gloves will be provided.
No red/orange gum shields allowed.
Colleges are encouraged to wear their club colours if they have them, and to bring red and blue strips in case of a clash of colours.
Colleges must also return a completed IATBA Member Institutions form (click here), if they have not done so already, before entering boxers for this tournament.